Saturday, October 4, 2014


Romance production Safe Haven released in 2013, directed by Lasse Hallstorm was a film that caught and kept my attention like no other. Safe Haven is about an abused wife trying to escape her horrific life as she changes her whole physical look and runs away to a small town deciding between leaving a life of unsafe risks and starting a new life of complete safety. When I first saw commercials of this movie coming out I thought to myself, this doesn't relate to me, this is just another sweet love story between two of my favorite actors Julianne Hough (who plays the abused wife Erin Tierney and then the run away girl who falls in love Katie Feldman) and Josh Duhamel (who plays the single widowed father as Alex Wheatly). I then went to the releasing of it and after the movie it all made sense to me why this movie meant so much to me and hit home right away. My aunt plays a huge role in my life and growing up I watched her live with an alcoholic, drug addicted, abusive husband. My uncle as bad and scary as it sounds was all of those in one. After many doubts and "I cant leave him" talks, she finally got the strength to leave and ended up finding her "Safe Haven" in a small unfamiliar town. I feel as if this movie compared so great to my everyday life one because I just like any other girl am a huge sucker for love movies and two I have so much respect for women who pick their selves up and get the courage to leave these unhealthy situations that occur way too much these days. I have a few people in my life today that are struggling with this continuous manipulative mind boggling abusive situations that after all the advice and long cry sessions, or long talks, I immediately say "go watch Safe Haven". Not only because its some tear jerker love story but because its one movie that can open one's eyes in so many different ways to not only getting out of an unhealthy relationship and finding the right kind of love. But its also about finding the strength after losing someone close to you and not necessarily replacing that love, but finding that empty piece that's been missing.

I would like to completely disagree with Ny Times film critic Stephen Holden on a few points. I for one second do not find this film as a weepy sudfest. Yes there were many tears for most people i'm sure, but I feel as it should be described as a film about an abused woman finding her inner strength to leave and find the true love that she deserves. I would also like to disagree with how Holden is comparing this film to a reality dating show & as an "I miss mommy" moment just because the kids in the film's mom died, I would personally describe this film as  "I can move on", "I can find love", and "anything in life is possible" type of film. The way Holden makes this film out to be is completely nuts to me.My last point I would like to disagree on is how Holden feels the scenes were awful and played out terrible. I feel as if there is nothing wrong with the scenes and the way the film was brought about was an outstanding line of events and perfect examples of real life today.




1 comment:

  1. Kurstyn,

    I greatly enjoyed this post. Your personal interaction with the film was very engaging and confessional, and I appreciate your willingness to share so much of your family's reality with us. Your recommendation of this film, having personally witnessed so many of its major themes, is a high recommendation. I might actually give this film a chance.

    Also, I enjoyed your spirited interaction with Stephen Holden. It's obviously he said things that aggravated you. Good! It's fun to read things that actually move us, even if in negative directions.

    A few revision notes to improve your writing:
    1. Movie and newspaper titles are always italicized.
    2. That's all I can come up with. Good work.

    ReplyDelete